Monday, October 8, 2012

Open source media players



I'm going to branch out from just talking about open source video games and talk about open source programs in general, starting with media players. Most media players play music and video decently well, but some do the job a lot better than others. A lot of the best programs also happen to be free and open source; they play a wider variety of files while using less system resources.

1. VLC media player
VLC is one of the most popular media players right now, and for good reason- it plays everything. It plays pretty much any audio or video file you can possibly find, and has a host of additional features, such as media streaming. I have VLC installed but I don't use it mainly for anything.

2. MPC-HC
Media Player Classic - Home Cinema plays audio files, but it's definitely more of a video player. It's a lot lighter than VLC, and handles some things better, such as subtitled anime. I use MPC-HC as my main video player.

3. Clementine
Clementine is a music player. It plays most any audio file, like VLC, but has a better layout for handling music. Clementine has a lot of features, such as integration with internet radio sites, and a handy tag editor; however, VLC has one advantage over Clementine, and that is that it handles corrupted files better.

Download VLC
Download MPC-HC
Download Clementine

Image Source: "Clementine-Logo;" "Clementine;" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Clementine-Logo.png

2 comments:

  1. I am quite partial to MPC-HC, I use it often for watching anime raws, because I'm not a horrible person.

    As far as music players go, I generally use winamp, but I might look into clementine for playing tta files, which is really the only complaint I have with winamp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I typically use VLC player for most of my audio files, but I may have to check out MPC-HC for playing videos.

    ReplyDelete