Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Tux games




Tux, a penguin, is the Linux mascot, and over the years, his likeness has been the inspiration for many open source clones of more popular games. I'll list what I think are the most noteworthy Tux games.

1. SuperTux

SuperTux is Super Mario Brothers with penguins and slightly poorer controls. It's a pretty casual game, but there are a few difficult stages. It's unoriginal, but fun nonetheless.

2. Tux Racer
As far as I know, Tux Racer isn't a clone of anything, but I have played games similar to it. You control a penguin sliding down a hill, and you want to collect the fish for points. Simple concept, but it's pretty fun. It's also pretty old. I remember playing this when I was a lot younger.

3. SuperTuxKart
SuperTuxKart is Mario Kart with penguins and other open source software mascots. It's the best looking game on the list, and it's quite fun. However, it needs online multiplayer or LAN multiplayer.

4. Pingus
Pingus is Lemmings with penguins. It doesn't have Tux in the title, but I'm counting it because it has penguins. I don't have too much to say about it. If you've ever played Lemmings, you'll know what to expect.

Super Tux gameplay
Tux Racer gameplay
SuperTuxKart gameplay
Pingus gameplay

Image Source: "Tux;" "Tux;" https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/af/Tux.png/220px-Tux.png

No comments:

Post a Comment